The magnitude of the destruction in the Philippines is staggering since Typhoon Haiyan hit the country. Thousands lost their lives, and many more have been injured, orphaned or separated from their families.
We have many Filipino members in Baltimore who are desperately seeking information about family and friends.
The Philippines now faces the daunting task of rebuilding communities that have been left without essentials such as food, shelter, clean water, schools, healthcare, power and transportation. The AFT has set up the following program to help in the Philippines. If you are interested in participating in these, please contact the AFT at 202-879-4400.
- Actively solicit volunteers to assist in relief and recovery efforts, as we did in the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake in 2010.
- Send an immediate contribution of $10,000 to help get supplies and other assistance to those who need them most.
- Open up the AFT Disaster Relief Fund to help with ongoing recovery efforts, as we did during Superstorm Sandy and the Oklahoma tornadoes.
- Set up a toll-free hotline and an emergency email address to assist in any way we possibly can. For more information, call 888-238-2011 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continue to work with our labor, healthcare and education partners to assist the Philippines on its road to recovery, which we know will be long and difficult.
Natural disasters, whenever they occur, have the power to touch us all. In times like this, we realize we truly are citizens of the world and have a responsibility to help one another. We join with others throughout the world in sending our thoughts and prayers to the millions affected by this devastating tragedy.