Date(s) - Monday, June 7, 2021
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Categories No Categories
- Please register at bit.ly/btugmmj
- You must register by June 6 at 11:59pm to have your current membership checked and to receive the webinar link.
JUNE 7 GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING AND CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT VOTE
Based on AFT’s recommendations after the 2019 BTU Election to consider amending our constitution and permitting greater access to voters.
After the 2019 BTU officer election, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Executive Council investigated the election and campaign practices and issued the following statement: “The council strongly recommends that the BTU consider implementing reasonable campaigning rules that permit greater access to the voters by all candidates and that facilitates member participation in elections to the greatest extent possible.” The council also stated that “we do recommend that BTU consider amending its constitution to allow any member to request an absentee ballot or to allow for secret mail-ballot elections, to maximize participation by BTU members in internal elections.”
In light of these recommendations, the Executive Boards of the BTU have proposed a Constitutional Amendment. BTU is seeking membership’s feedback on potential steps forward. With hopes of maximizing BTU member access in the 2022 election of officers we are considering a variety of options, each with different benefits and costs. Please attend to vote and have your voice heard.
BLUE) The entire BTU membership receives a mail-in ballot with no in-person locations (approximately $35,000) 57.1%
(RED) The entire BTU membership receives a mail-in ballot with 1 in-person location (approximately $60,000) 25.7%
(Orange) The entire BTU membership receives a mail-in ballot with 6 in-person location (approximately $125,000+) 11.4%
BLUE) The entire BTU membership receives a mail-in ballot with no in-person locations (approximately $35,000) 61.1%
(RED) The entire BTU membership receives a mail-in ballot with 1 in-person location (approximately $60,000) 24.6%
(Orange) The entire BTU membership receives a mail-in ballot with 6 in-person location (approximately $125,000+) 7.2%
In light of the survey results and the AFT report the BTU Executive Board proposed a constitutional amendment that reads:
“Elections for officers shall be elected by secret ballot mailed to members in good standing of the Union. Members in good standing shall also have the option of in-person voting at one location. Voting shall be conducted by the AAA or TrueBallot in accordance with the requirements of this Constitution and any applicable law.”
What happens after the constitutional amendment is proposed?
- It was approved by the BTU Executive Board on April 8, 2021.
- The amendment will be voted on at the BTU General Membership Meeting on June 7, 2021.
- In order to pass, the amendment must be approved by a vote of two-thirds of the members of each chapter present at the BTU General Membership Meeting, as required by the BTU Constitution.
- A proposed amendment shall be published in an official publication of both Chapters at least fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting at which it is to be considered and shall be sent to each member by email.
How do members attend the June 7 General Membership Meeting?
- Members register at bit.ly/btugmmj
- Members must register by June 6 at 11:59pm to have current membership checked and receive an email with the webinar link
How will members vote at the June 7 General Membership Meeting?
- The voting will be done live during the General Membership Meeting using electronic online voting with a 2-step process: attendance verification and the vote conducted by Eballot
- The meeting will use Robert’s Rules of Order with a parliamentarian
- The amendment cannot be changed
- The format will be: information, discussion (with time limits), members will be able to vote after the discussion ends (not during)
- PSRPs vote with PSRPs, Teachers vote with Teachers
- Anonymous vote
- Yes/No vote
- Needs 2/3 yes votes from both chapters to pass
Contact your field representative for more information.
*Click the photo to register or register at bit.ly/btugmmj.